Sunday 15 September 2013

New Booksies

I have a pile of new books to revel in today's post. Huzzah!

I will start with the review copies.
  • From the LibraryThing Early Reviewer program, I got Single Witch's Survival Guide by Mindy Klasky, which I have already reviewed.
  • From Harlequin Aus, I received The Iron Traitor by Julie Kagawa. See my review for book one here
  • From Strange Chemistry, I received Cracked by Eliza Crewe. Début author.
  • From Disney-Hyperion, I received These Broken Stars by Amie Kaufman and Meagan Spooner, the former being an Aussie author (and début I'm pretty sure).

 
And now on to presents and purchases!
  • By Simon Haynes, Hal Spacejock: Safe Art and Hal Junior: The Gyris Mission, both already read and reviewed.
  • By Patty Jansen, The Shattered World Within, a novella which I've already reviewed.
  • By Andrea K Höst, Stained Glass Monsters, which I have yet to read.
  • By Alma Alexander, Worldweavers: Gift of the Unmage, the first in her YA series.
  • By Tara Moss, The Skeleton Key, third Pandora English book. I've previously reviewed the first two books.
  • By Jill Hathaway, Imposter, the sequel to Slide.
  • By Sean Williams and Shane Dix, Geodesica Ascent. Science fiction, Australian.
  • By John Scalzi, Redshirts in audiobook form, because it was super cheap on Audible (and I am all for anything which ends with Amazon getting less money).



 

4 comments:

  1. I haven't read much on that list, though I know soe of the authors amens. And Simon Haynes and Patty Jansen I know also as fellow ASIMites. Couldn't get into the Iron Fey books - if you want believable fairies(or Faeries) Melissa Marr is the way to go, IMO. She's a university academic who knows how to do her research and play with it. And I loved the tattooed fairies!

    But I thought the Tara Moss book great fun - Buffy meets the Addams Family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kagawa had me at the Kali sticks in the Iron Fey books. Fantasy + martial arts is a favourite combination of mine. Though I don't particularly have plans to read the earlier series.

      I like this haul because apart from the two début ARCs, they're all old favourites.

      Delete
  2. Then you'll probably like Kylie Chan's books. I got the first one for reviewing years ago. It had a lot going for it, I thought, though the editor made her stretch it out so they could do a trilogy and it waffled a good deal. But the martial arts were there and the fantasy was Asian.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have read them, and not surprised to see your suggest it. I have the second trilogy too, although I've only read the first book of that so far.

      Other books that fit into the category are The Ancient Future by Traci Harding (which I loved when I was 13 but it doesn't really stand up to a reread now) and Rhonda Roberts' Timestalker series, which really should get more attention.

      Delete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.