Saturday 16 February 2013

New Booksies

This time, I purchased some books and also received some ARCs from publishers. The purchased ones happened first so I'll start there.

I decided to spend an achievement unlocked book on Unearthly by Cynthia Hand because it was on sale as part of a first book in the series is cheaper thing on iTunes. And also because, even though I haven't had much luck with angel books, a couple friends whose opinions I trust have assured me it's really good.

A while ago I pre-ordered Gail Carriger's Etiquette and Espionage and now it's out and I'm looking forward to reading it (just as soon as I catch up on my February ARCs because real life continues to be demanding). You may remember me mentioning it in my books most looked forward to post.




Then from the publishers via NetGalley I received Emilie and the Hollow World by Martha Wells which is a Strange Chemistry book, so it must be good (if past experience is anything to go by). (Strange Chemistry being the YA imprint of Angry Robot.) And if you look carefully, you'll see this isn't quite the finished cover...

And I got The Eternity Cure by Julie Kagawa from Harlequin Teen (AU) which is the sequel to Blood of Eden, which was one of my favourite reads of 2012. Here's hoping it lives up to expectations and continues to put an interesting spin on the vampire mythos. (And I'm not 100% sure if this is the final cover, but it's the only one I could find that wasn't definitely a place-holder.)

From Random House AU, I got The Asylum by John Harwood, a Tasmanian author. The blurb tells me it's gothic suspense so I'm hoping I'll be able to count it towards my horror reading challenge. From what I gathered he usually writes more Literary things, but I'm hoping the gothic suspense parts and the historical Britain aspect will prevent me flashing back to reading Tim Winton in high school.





And finally, I almost forgot, I've received the two most recent issues of Andromeda Spaceways Inflight Magazine (ASIM) for review: issues 56 and 55. Which were published in that order due to a wormhole mix-up. I used to be an ASIM subscriber earlier on, but stopped due to Poor Student Syndrome and never got around to it again mostly because of my alarming TBR. But yay for reading more Aussie and international short fiction!



Yay, books and things!

3 comments:

  1. Not sure if I'm one of the friends who inspired your reading Unearthly, but OMG I love this series, I hope you love it too :D I'm eagerly awaiting Boundless (Book 3) to come to me *grabby hands*.

    I'm excited to read The Eternity Cure and Emilie as well :D And as I told you, I want to read E&E, but I think I'll wait for your review.

    Shaheen @ Speculating on SpecFic
    Come and check out my weekly book haul feature, Stocktake Saturday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you and Holly convinced me to give Unearthly a go despite the angels.

      Hopefully my review of E&E will be soooon because I plan to start reading it today and I've discovered it's not very long. I know you too have a scary TBR but you should consider reading Soulless and sequels if you like E&E.

      Delete
  2. I've been hearing good things about Cynthia's series which is really surprising to me because the awful covers and the fact that they're about angels made me think they'd be terrible. I might have to give them a go, too!

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.